28 Nov Save money this holiday season with these five tips
‘Tis the season to start trimming – your budget, that is.
An October 2020 Gallup poll found that the average American expects to spend around $805 on this year’s holiday season. While it’s true that the general public might have a little less to spend, that reduction is also indicative of the changing mindset of spending as a whole.
Consumers with big eyes are now wary of a volatile market and, consequently, of putting too much of the holiday season on plastic. This means more restricted budgets.
Save money this holiday season by utilizing the following five tips:
- Make a holiday budget. Make a holiday budget. Establish a general spending cap and allocate specific amounts to each person on your gift list. When creating a budget, don’t forget about the little things that can quickly add up, such as charitable donations, travel expenses and parties. If possible, add a cushion to your budget so that it’s not too tight. After all, who wants to be stressed during the holidays?
- Track your spending habits. Creating a budget is just the first step, now it’s up to you to track spending. Unison Bank’s mobile app “Unison Mobile” is a great help to effectively track spending. Simply download from the app store and check balances regularly, as well as spending habits. With Unison Mobile, you can track your spending anytime, anywhere – even in line for the cashier or while baking holiday treats.
- Use ATMs that don’t charge a surcharge. ATMs can quickly become expensive with the additional surcharges that most charge for use. Unison Bank partnered with MoneyPass® to allow its customers the ability to use 32,000 MoneyPass® affiliated ATMs nationwide and avoid paying fees.
- Refinance your home mortgage. Although not holiday-related, now is the perfect time to refinance your home mortgage with rates at an all-time low. Unison Bank offers low rates that are competitively priced. Visit with one of Unison Bank’s expert mortgage lenders to learn more. We guarantee personal service, prompt processing and quality results.
- Maximize your savings. Use appropriate cash-back credit cards when shopping or free smartphone apps like RetailMeNot, Honey and Rakuten that provide cashback deals and discounts automatically when shopping online.
By incorporating these holiday saving tips, you can spend more time enjoying the holiday season rather than worrying about finances.
As a community bank, Unison Bank offers financial solutions for your personal and business banking needs. To learn more visit www.unisonbank.com/.